The Sr. Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for providing quality and consistent underwriting of Residential Mortgage loans, focusing on difficult and complex loans, to ensure compliance with appropriate company standards. Responsible for ensuring compliance with FHLMC/FHA/VA/FNMA guidelines. Also assesses the potential risk of loan applicants, including current and past credit and job history, ensures that all mortgage applications are complete and accurate. Provides high quality customer service. Provides direction and guidance to other less experienced underwriters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform mortgage credit analysis, with or without the assistance of an automated underwriting system to determine Borrower’s willingness and ability to repay the mortgage debt.
• Knowledge of FNMA, FMLMC, and FHA documentation and general guidelines/standards.
• Experience with VA, and USDA is a plus.
• Validate loan application and supporting documentation and verify that the system of record reflects correct information. Update system of record when required.
• Review and validate income, asset, credit, title, value, and fraud reports.
• Ensure all required property information is in system.
• Confirm government required documents are complete and accurate.
• Review title information and purchase contract, if applicable.
• Run and review quality control tools.
• Run, review, and interpret DU, LP. And Total Score-Card, when applicable.
• Document system with all dates and information.
• Maintain production standard goals as established by management.
• Ability to act as FHA, DE, and/or VA Automatic and SAR Underwriter, if not, should be pursuing these designations (based on lending authority level).
• Order and review MI based on loan program.
• Ensure that system of record matches MI certificate.
• Approve and/ or deny loans and update the system accordingly.
• Re-underwrite loans when additional information has been received.
• May be asked to second sign loan decisions for lower level authority underwriters.
• May occasionally be required to provide training for and mentoring to Junior Underwriters.
• Answer and research general underwriting scenario and guideline questions via email and phone.
• Complete all required underwriting worksheets and checklists.
• Assist in resolving post-closing suspense issues.
• Must be able to evaluate and analyze complex income tax returns to establish qualifying income.
• Other duties as assigned.
• DE Certified
• Recent Underwriting experience in the mortgage industry is a must
• High school diploma or equivalent required; College degree preferred
• Experience with (AUS) automated underwriting systems
• Working knowledge of loan program products and services, and policies essential
• Knowledge of paperless file environment and image software repository
• Genuine commitment to customer service
• Solid organizational and problem-solving skills
• Proven aptitude to work in both a team and individual environment
• Minimum of five (5) years underwriting experience.
• Bachelors preferred.
• Strong analytical and negotiating skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to travel to agent and broker, carrier, and employer meetings.
• Ability to work in a highly automated, paperless environment, including specialized software packages.
• Basic computer skills including MS Office Suite
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $110,000 Plus OT
• Health insurance
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Life insurance
• Paid time off